Sunday 9 June 2013

[wanabidii] English Grammar

Teacher Maurice - I wish you could be doing this rather than engaging in fights. Keep up! Personally I cannot teach English; It was not my subject. Talk of History and Social Ethics I attained a clean A. My dream was to pursue Political science at UON - but I ended up at Kalenjin land.
From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
Sender: progressive-kenyans@googlegroups.com
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 04:06:05 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: progressive-kenyans@googlegroups.com
Cc: Progressive Kenyans<progressive-kenyans@googlegroups.com>; wanakenya@googlegroups.com<wanakenya@googlegroups.com>; KOL<kenyaonline@yahoogroups.com>; Kiswahili<Kiswahili@yahoogroups.com>; mabadilikotanzania<mabadilikotanzania@googlegroups.com>; wanabidii<wanabidii@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [PK] Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

Heheheheheheheheheeeeee !!!!!!!!!

Parasis,

Philip Ochieng' is a fool. He corrects people in a condescending manner. No one wants to be told he/she is wrong. You have to preserve the dignity of the person even as you point out the mistake he/she made.

Talking about correcting folks, I just noticed a "sin" in one of the postings by someone (I will not name him/her) today on some West African forum. Just in case it was not a typo, let me clear it up.

We don't say:           The number of votes casted
The correct way is:  The number of votes cast

Also,

We don't say:          This shirt costed me 20k
The correct way is: This shirt cost me 20k

While I'm at it,

We don't say:  The trouser fitted my son
We say:            The trouser fit my son

Cast, Cost and Fit  are those strange words that are normally their own Past Tenses.

I hope this clarifies things for anyone out there who was not sure.

Courage




On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM, <bapfrancis@gmail.com> wrote:
 

Hehehe awk Morriss

I note that Philip Ochieng often takes time to correct folks on English grammer as well



Francis
Sent from my BlackBerry®

From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 03:15:57 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

 

Come on, Parasis, you're probably not the intended audience for this type of question. Of course you're right. You'll be shocked what you read in newspapers when some journalists try to negotiate A and THE.

Courage



On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM, <bapfrancis@gmail.com> wrote:
 

MO

The second sentence is specific identifying a particular chief while the first is not.

Francis

Sent from my BlackBerry®

From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 02:23:07 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

 

"Faiza",

Why don't you give us the answer here?

What's the difference between these 2 sentences? Please explain.

I asked a Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.

I asked the Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.


Courage



On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Faiza Hassan <wasitara@gmail.com> wrote:
 

Online Lecturer. Where is Alpine. I advised him to join your online
class. Did he email you?



On 6/8/13, Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lately, I've been noticing some common mistakes in Kenyan newspapers and I
> simply can not resist sharing them here with you. These are things that
> used to cause me a lot headaches all through Primary and Secondary schools.
>
> What's the difference between these 2 sentences? Please explain.
>
> *I asked a Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.
>
> *
> *I asked the Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land*.

>
> For most people, especially with university education, this should not be a
> problem. But some of our print journalists have been using a and the
> interchangeably, I guess, without thinking about then keenly.
>
> Courage
>



__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
Vugu Vugu Mashinani (VVM) is a movement that seeks to bring together Kenyans from all walks of life in ensuring a paradigm shift in leadership. After passing of the Katiba, Kenyans have now the sole responsibility to identify, audit and choose leaders of integrity right from the grassroots level to the Executive.
Group Email Addresses
Post message:      VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:      VuguVuguMashinani-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:      VuguVuguMashinani-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
List owner:      VuguVuguMashinani-owner@yahoogroups.com
.

__,_._,___

--
*************************************************************************************************
For house maids, gardeners check: www.maidcheck.com. Also article writting paid at 3,000 per published articled email director@trs.co.ke
Call 0725 232420 for more info
*************************************************************************************************
TO ADVERTISE HERE: email: amosogal @ gmail.com
*************************************************************************************************
To subscribe:progressive-kenyans+subscribe@googlegroups.com:
Unsubscribe:progressive-kenyans+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Progressive Kenyans" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to progressive-kenyans+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment