Friday 10 May 2013

[wanabidii] Re: English Grammar and Pronunciation



I had to google the pronunciation of ' devolved' yesterday.
The news reader drove me nuts!!

It's di volved...as I'd thought...not dervolved like she kept repeating.







From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
To: Progressive Kenyans <progressive-kenyans@googlegroups.com>
Cc: "wanakenya@googlegroups.com" <wanakenya@googlegroups.com>; VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani <VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>; Kiswahili <Kiswahili@yahoogroups.com>; KOL <kenyaonline@yahoogroups.com>; mabadilikotanzania <mabadilikotanzania@googlegroups.com>; wanabidii <wanabidii@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:09 AM
Subject: English Grammar and Pronunciation

Guys and Gals,

I just want to bring to your attention 2 items that have become pet peeves of mine lately. One has to do with simple grammar and the other, pronunciation.

Let's see:

1.  I have often heard people say:

The reason why I am buying that car is because it has more room in the boot/trunk for our luggage should we have to travel as a family.


The correct way to say this is:

The reason why I am buying that car is that it has more room in the boot/trunk for our luggage should we travel as a family. 

2. The name Xavier. The most famous form of this name is St. Francis Xavier. It's a French name so it must be pronounced the way the French pronounce it.

Let me use Kiswahili as a base for pronunciation.

People, especially the English-inclined, say  Zevia
Africans generally say  Zavia or Ksavia or Ksavie

The correct way to pronounce this name is:  G-zavie

I hope this will come in handy to those who were not sure. I too had trouble with these 2 items, among thousands of others, in my Secondary School years.


Courage
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "WANAKENYA" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanakenya+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 


0 comments:

Post a Comment