Sunday 29 September 2013

[wanabidii] English Pronunciation

Today I come to you just to keep in touch. I'm very pleased that I'm seeing less and less of pronunciation word-massacre on Kenyan  TV. I have to admit that I'm not running into any "sins" in the last few days. I think my message has reached them and they are now practicing their scripts before airtime. I'm very pleased with that.
By the way, I could not resist watching KTN and I've come to a very interesting conclusion. The reporter there that I would most like to meet and be friends with is Najma Ismael. She comes across as very polite, non-confrontational and one that would be a loyal friend should I find myself in a conflict with anyone. I believe she would support me 100%. That is extremely important in friendships. Don't ever let anyone lie to you that they are your friends yet they can easily oppose and even insult you in public, in defence of someone they claim does not matter to them or figure in their lives.

But I have a few words today and I'll break with my tradition of not outing culprits by naming the remaining hold-outs. Let me get into it right away:


Denis Onsarigo was doing a piece on Criminal Case Files.
He said:  (ADMIRATION)         ---   A-D-M-I-YA-R-E-SH-O-N     This is wrong.
The correct way is:                  ---   A-D-M-I-R-E-SH-O-N

Kalonzo Musyoka, the former Vice President of Kenya just arrived from Sri Lanka where he was monitoring elections. He gave a Press Conference in Nairobi.

He said:  (IDEOLOGY)   -----    I-D-I-O-L-O-J-I
The correct way is:         -----   A-I-D-I-O-L-O-J-I

Mike Sonko, the Nairobi Senator was talking at a function in Nairobi, to secondary school students.

He said: (AUTHORITY)      ----  A-U-TH-O-R-I-T-I
The correct way is:            ----  O-TH-O-R-I-T-I

I hope at least one person has now removed any doubts about at least one of these words. They are very tricky ones even though they seem simple.

I hope these words are never an issue to anyone ever again.

Courage


--
Send Emails to wanabidii@googlegroups.com
 
Kujiondoa Tuma Email kwenda
wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com Utapata Email ya kudhibitisha ukishatuma
 
Disclaimer:
Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Wanabidii" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment