Sunday 12 May 2013

[wanabidii] Re: Interview Question



A question such as "Tell me your greatest weakness" is intended to test your honesty, and flexibility to learn from drawbacks.

Everyone has failed at something in his/her life so you are expected to have some legitimate experience to relate. But you must seem honest and the example has to be legitimate. But NEVER GIVE AN EXAMPLE FROM THE FIELD IN WHICH YOU ARE NOW BEING INTERVIEWED. Give an example totally unrelated to the job/field in which you're being interviewed. Take something from your childhood if you must. 

Let me give you an example. Keep in mind that I'm interviewing for an Engineering job.

When I was in Secondary school, I was a member of the 4K Club. We had a garden at the school and we would plant all kinds of vegetables e.g. tomatoes, onions, cabbage, pepper, mboga kunde etc.  One year, the club decided to run a competition to identify which member of the group could grow the biggest tomato. Everyone was given seeds and the winner had to produce the biggest tomato at harvesting time.
I prepared the ground, fertilized it, planted my seeds and watered them everyday. I weeded as much as possible and undertook every task as best and as comprehensively as I could. I was very confident that I was going to win this contest especially since I had been the most disciplined in terms of doing all that was required. Even the teacher who was the Club Master was confident about my victory.

Tomatoes began to form on everyone's plants and the competition was very fierce with people concentrating on fertilizing, watering and weeding.

In the end, we all harvested and each of of us chose his biggest tomato for the competition. What happened ? I came in third, out of 5 contestants !!!!  Disaster !!!  I had done everything right and I felt very disappointed at coming in third. I still remember that contest. I GUESS I WAS NEVER MEANT TO BE A FARMER SO I BETTER STICK TO WHAT I'M BEST AT, ENGINEERING.

I later learned that the 2 people who beat me had done some things that I never thought of. I did not do research.

One of them did not use fertilizers but went to the neighbouring villages to collect chicken manure. Chicken manure is far more superior to any fertilizer when it comes to tomato farming. The guy read this in some library book !!!!!

Another spread peat moss and saw dust under around his tomato plants. These items hold water so it stays on the ground instead of evaporating. The tomato plants can thus absorb a higher percentage of the water applied. Tomatoes require a lot of water.

You can be sure I will use this new knowledge the next time I'm in such a contest. I'll do my research thoroughly
LIKE I SAID, I BETTER STICK TO ENGINEERING, SOMETHING I'M VERY EXPERIENCED IN.



This is the type of answer required by a Failure question. This should take you about 2-3 minutes to tell. Make it look like you are recalling things instead of sounding like you memorized the whole thing.

Tinda; tinda adong arom g'olwa man itok ka nera;  tinda.  -- (Don't worry about this, this is a Luo thing/superstition at the end of a long story)
 
Courage,
Oduor Maurice Wod Plista Ny'Alego Gang



On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com> wrote:
You are in a job interview and you're asked:

Tell me your greatest failure, one incident/project you consider your greatest failure so far ?

How would you answer this question to your advantage ?

Courage


--
Send Emails to wanabidii@googlegroups.com
 
Kujiondoa Tuma Email kwenda
wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com Utapata Email ya kudhibitisha ukishatuma
 
Disclaimer:
Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Wanabidii" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment