Monday 21 October 2013

[wanabidii] Re: ARCHIVES - Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Pre-Sentencing Speech in 1963

On Monday, June 7, 2010 8:00:30 AM UTC+1, Yona Fares Maro wrote:
> Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Pre-Sentencing Speech in 1963
>
>
>
> On September 11, 1963, after several months of trial, Chief Awolowo
>
> was convicted of treason. Shortly before the judge pronounces his
>
> sentence, Chief Awolowo made an allocutus, which showed a combination
>
> of courage, vision and self-confidence. It is as follows:
>
> "I would like to be remembered for helping to build a united multi
>
> ethnic state. I want to be remembered for creating the basis for an
>
> irreversible resolution in education for social justice in Nigeria . I
>
> have not yet succeeded in all of these. But I have set a pattern
>
> which, no other Nigerian can ignore or reverse."
>
>
>
>
>
> "I must say with respect and this may have to be taken up with a
>
> higher tribunal, that I do not agree with you Lordship's verdict, and
>
> the premises on which it is based.
>
>
>
> For upwards of 30 years, I have been in politics in Nigeria: during
>
> this period I have operated in various important theatres in the life
>
> of this federation. I have with others, fought against British
>
> imperialism with all my might with all the talents that it pleased God
>
> to give me.
>
>
>
> Together with other nationalists some of whom are with me, and many of
>
> whom are not with me, we have successfully thrown out British
>
> imperialisms and enthroned Africans in positions which 20 or more
>
> years ago they never dreamt of occupying.
>
>
>
> I have been an unyielding advocate of a Federal Constitution for
>
> Nigeria . I have all along with other leaders of this country been a
>
> very active and constructive participant in all the constitutional
>
> conferences which have taken place since 1953 and which have
>
> culminated not only in the attainment of independence but in the
>
> production of a constitution of which Nigerians are very proud of.
>
> This constitution is now being gradually violated.
>
>
>
> I have also fought against anything that savors injustice. It is thus
>
> an irony of history that as one of the architects of Nigeria 's
>
> independence, I have spent almost half of Nigeria 's three years of
>
> independence under one form of confinement or another.
>
>
>
> Since 1957 I have fought as your Lordship remarked with vigour against
>
> feudal system in the Northern Region and for its eradication. I have
>
> also fought to prevent the spread of this evil political system to
>
> other parts of Nigeria .
>
>
>
> During the same period, I have strongly advocated the breaking up of
>
> the Northern Region into more states in order to have true Federation
>
> in Nigeria , to preclude permanent subservience of the people of
>
> Nigeria to the autocratic ruling caste in the North, and to preserve
>
> peace and unity in the country.
>
>
>
> In short, I have always fought for what I believe without, and I say
>
> this without any spirit of immodesty that in the course of my
>
> political career, I have rendered services to this country which
>
> historians and the coming generations will regard as imperishable.
>
>
>
> Naturally sir, in the course of my long, turbulent and active
>
> political life, I have attracted to myself a sizeable crop of
>
> detractors and political adversaries. Similarly, I have in the course
>
> of this long career seen both triumph and setbacks and I have met them
>
> with equal mind.
>
>
>
> Peter, not Peter the Apostle, but Peter, hero of High Walpole's novel,
>
> entitled 'Fortitude' said 'It isn't life that matters but the courage
>
> you bring to it. After life had done terrible things to Peter he heard
>
> a voice that said to him among other things "Blessed be all sorrow,
>
> hardships and endurance that demand courage. Blessed be these things;
>
> for of these things cometh the making of man."
>
>
>
> In the words of Peter, therefore, my Lord, I declare that I declare
>
> (not that I have heard a voice)' Blessed be your verdict: and I say in
>
> advance, blessed be the verdict your Lordship may pass on me. I
>
> personally \welcome any sentence you may impose upon me.
>
>
>
> At this moment, my only concern is not for myself, but that my
>
> imprisonment might do harm to Nigeria for three reasons, Firstly, the
>
> individual services which I have hitherto rendered, and which I can
>
> still render will be lost to the country- at least fix a season.
>
>
>
> Secondly, there might be a heightening, of the present tension that
>
> has lasted 15months, and has done incalculable injuries to the economy
>
> of this country.
>
>
>
> Thirdly, for sometime to come, the present twilight of democracy,
>
> individual freedom and the rule of law will or might change into utter
>
> darkness. But after darkness, and this is common place- comes the
>
> glorious dawn.
>
>
>
> It is therefore, with a brave heart, with confident hope and with
>
> faith in my unalterable destiny that I go from this twilight into the
>
> darkness, unshakeable in my trust in the providence of God that a
>
> glorious dawn will come on the morrow.
>
>
>
> My adversaries might say who am I to think that if I am imprisoned the
>
> country might suffer? What if I died? The point of course, is that I
>
> am still alive and I will not die in prison.
>
>
>
> Furthermore, the spirit of man knows no barrier, never dies and can be
>
> projected to any part of the world. This being so I am confident that
>
> the ideals of social justice and individual liberty which I hold dear
>
> will continue to be projected beyond the prison walls and bars until
>
> they are realized in our lifetime.
>
>
>
> In this connection, I must stress that in this very court room, indeed
>
> in this dock and in the entire Federation of Nigeria, the spirit of a
>
> new Nigeria is already active and at work.
>
>
>
> This spirit, working through constitutional means which I have spent
>
> the whole of my life to advocate is sure to prevail before very long
>
> to the delight and freedom and prosperity of all and sundry.
>
>
>
> Before I close, i must say that in spite of the delay of the past week
>
> on the part of your Lordship in giving judgment in this case and in
>
> spite of my disagreement with your verdict, which I have just given
>
> expression to, I must acknowledge your Lordship's patience throughout
>
> the trial of this case.
>
>
>
> Particularly, I want to thank your Lordship for the due and special
>
> consideration that you have always accorded me and the other accused
>
> person. I thank your Lordship; and I am prepared to abide by your
>
> sentence".
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> This was the mindset of a leader of a political Party and premier of
>
> one of the 3 regions of Nigeria and former leader or opposition, of
>
> the Federal Government of Nigeria on his way to prison, demonstrating
>
> an unqualified courage.

Violence never settles anything right: apart from injuring your own soul, it injures the best cause. It lingers on long after the object of hate has disappeared from the scene to plague the lives of those who have employed it against their foes.
- Obafemi Awolowo.
Get all of Chief Obafemi Awolowo Books at 10% discount. Go to http://goo.gl/yDbddd. PLEASE SHARE WITH OTHERS.

--
Send Emails to wanabidii@googlegroups.com

Kujiondoa Tuma Email kwenda
wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com Utapata Email ya kudhibitisha ukishatuma

Disclaimer:
Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Wanabidii" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment