Saturday 19 October 2013

[wanabidii] English Pronunciation

s and
You're now looking at a very miserable character in one Maurice J Oduor. My pronunciation gig has come to an end with respect to my favourite punching bag, KTN Television of Kenya. For some reason, none of their reporters or newsreaders is mispronouncing any word. I think my message got to them and they are practising their scripts before going on air; they watch every word before uttering it.
I'm happy with this eventuality and this now forces me to go to Citizen and other TV stations. There may be work there to be done.

Today all I can share with you are some few words that Willis the WordMaster brought up last evening on KTN Prime. I won't bother with the common mistakes people make in pronouncing them. I'll just give you what he said are the correct pronunciations.

Cole slaw (this is ground cabbage mixed with salad dressing and eaten as a salad).

COLE SLAW  ------------        K - O - L    S - L - O

CALF             ------------        K - A - A - F    (the L is silent but the A is elongated)
CALM            ------------        K - A - A - M    (L is silent; A is elongated)

SOUTH          ------------        S-A-U-TH
SOUTHERN    -----------        S-A-DH-A-N  (notice the O becomes silent)

ADHERE       -----------         A-D-H-I-Y-A    (AD  then HIYA)  (follow, obey, stick to)

FIERY           ------------        F-A-Y-A-R-I   (Example; a fiery plane crashy)


I hope this is helpful somehow. Now I'll have to move on to Citizen TV to find out what "sins" they have there.

Courage



--
Send Emails to wanabidii@googlegroups.com
 
Kujiondoa Tuma Email kwenda
wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com Utapata Email ya kudhibitisha ukishatuma
 
Disclaimer:
Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Wanabidii" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

0 comments:

Post a Comment