Monday 10 June 2013

[wanabidii] Re: [PK] English Grammar-which grammar?

Liyai,

This is not an intellectual exercise. We're just casually looking at a few common mistakes people make plus some things that confuse people. Don't take it as intensely as I'm imagining you are.

We're just having fun. Join us.

Courage


On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Paul Liyai <pauliyai@yahoo.com> wrote:
Dear Friends,
It has been long since I posted anything in here. I would like to encourage such discussions but we should clarify which grammar are we talking about because there are many grammars. Are we talking about desciptive grammar or prescriptive grammar? Some of the so called English grammar may be what we may call in applied linguistics as neo-colonialism syndrome. We should be careful.

From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
To: Progressive Kenyans <progressive-kenyans@googlegroups.com>
Cc: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani <VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>; "wanakenya@googlegroups.com" <wanakenya@googlegroups.com>; KOL <kenyaonline@yahoogroups.com>; Kiswahili <Kiswahili@yahoogroups.com>; mabadilikotanzania <mabadilikotanzania@googlegroups.com>; wanabidii <wanabidii@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2013 2:15 AM
Subject: Re: [PK] English Grammar
88,
Let me remind you of a scenario that you probably saw countless of times on school playgrounds. The weakest or the smallest guy was always getting bullied and a lot of times he had to fight back to defend his honour and dignity.  He got into a lot of fights. At some point, he earned a reputation as "that kid really likes fighting". I'm sad to say that I'm that kid on the school playground. I'm an easy mark for everyone, an easy target, especially once the reputation takes hold that I like fighting.
Now, I know you don't have time nowadays, with the baby and all, but one day if you have some time to spare, I want you to go into the archives of this forum and investigate each fight, how it started and who started it. You will find that the genesis of each fight I've been involved in is never propagated from my side i.e. I don't start any fight. I get provoked a lot because maybe some folks here think I'm the weakest kid on the school playground. Then I have to fight back, then I get the reputation that "Maurice really likes fighting". I find that reputation by itself to be a form of bullying too. I slap you, you slap me back but then you get a reputation that you like fighting !!!!!  Sometimes I think we live in George Orwell's 1984.
So 88, I never start the fire. I always find it burning and I try to put it out, to extinguish it.
Courage
On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 2:20 PM, WANJIKU.GITHINJI.88 <rose.wanjiku88@yahoo.com> wrote:
Teacher Maurice - I wish you could be doing this rather than engaging in fights. Keep up! Personally I cannot teach English; It was not my subject. Talk of History and Social Ethics I attained a clean A. My dream was to pursue Political science at UON - but I ended up at Kalenjin land.
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 04:06:05 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [PK] Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

Heheheheheheheheheeeeee !!!!!!!!!
Parasis,
Philip Ochieng' is a fool. He corrects people in a condescending manner. No one wants to be told he/she is wrong. You have to preserve the dignity of the person even as you point out the mistake he/she made.
Talking about correcting folks, I just noticed a "sin" in one of the postings by someone (I will not name him/her) today on some West African forum. Just in case it was not a typo, let me clear it up.
We don't say:           The number of votes casted
The correct way is:  The number of votes cast
Also,
We don't say:          This shirt costed me 20k
The correct way is: This shirt cost me 20k
While I'm at it,
We don't say:  The trouser fitted my son
We say:            The trouser fit my son
Cast, Cost and Fit  are those strange words that are normally their own Past Tenses.
I hope this clarifies things for anyone out there who was not sure.

Courage
On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 3:24 AM, <bapfrancis@gmail.com> wrote:
 
Hehehe awk Morriss

I note that Philip Ochieng often takes time to correct folks on English grammer as well
Francis
Sent from my BlackBerry®
From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 03:15:57 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

 
Come on, Parasis, you're probably not the intended audience for this type of question. Of course you're right. You'll be shocked what you read in newspapers when some journalists try to negotiate A and THE.
Courage
On Sun, Jun 9, 2013 at 2:44 AM, <bapfrancis@gmail.com> wrote:
 
MO

The second sentence is specific identifying a particular chief while the first is not.

Francis

Sent from my BlackBerry®
From: Maurice Oduor <mauricejoduor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 02:23:07 -0400
To: VVM Vuguvugu Mashinani<VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: (VVM Forum) English Grammar

 
"Faiza",
Why don't you give us the answer here?
What's the difference between these 2 sentences? Please explain.I asked a Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.

I asked the Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.
Courage

On Sat, Jun 8, 2013 at 11:17 PM, Faiza Hassan <wasitara@gmail.com> wrote:
 
Online Lecturer. Where is Alpine. I advised him to join your online
class. Did he email you?
On 6/8/13, Maurice Oduor <mailto:mauricejoduor%40gmail.com> wrote:> Lately, I've been noticing some common mistakes in Kenyan newspapers and I> simply can not resist sharing them here with you. These are things that> used to cause me a lot headaches all through Primary and Secondary schools.>> What's the difference between these 2 sentences? Please explain.>
> *I asked a Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land.>> *> *I asked the Chief to arrest the people who were encroaching on my land*.
>> For most people, especially with university education, this should not be a> problem. But some of our print journalists have been using a and the> interchangeably, I guess, without thinking about then keenly.>> Courage>
__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)
Recent Activity:
Vugu Vugu Mashinani (VVM) is a movement that seeks to bring together Kenyans from all walks of life in ensuring a paradigm shift in leadership. After passing of the Katiba, Kenyans have now the sole responsibility to identify, audit and choose leaders of integrity right from the grassroots level to the Executive.Group Email AddressesPost message:      VuguVuguMashinani@yahoogroups.comSubscribe:      VuguVuguMashinani-subscribe@yahoogroups.comUnsubscribe:      VuguVuguMashinani-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.comList owner:      VuguVuguMashinani-owner@yahoogroups.com
.
__,_._,___
-- *************************************************************************************************For house maids, gardeners check: http://www.maidcheck.com/. Also article writting paid at 3,000 per published articled email director@trs.co.keCall 0725 232420 for more info*************************************************************************************************TO ADVERTISE HERE: email: amosogal @ gmail.com*************************************************************************************************To mailto:subscribe%3Aprogressive-kenyans%2Bsubscribe@googlegroups.com: mailto:Unsubscribe%3Aprogressive-kenyans%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Progressive Kenyans" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mailto:progressive-kenyans%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.  
-- *************************************************************************************************For house maids, gardeners check: http://www.maidcheck.com/. Also article writting paid at 3,000 per published articled email director@trs.co.keCall 0725 232420 for more info*************************************************************************************************TO ADVERTISE HERE: email: amosogal @ gmail.com*************************************************************************************************To mailto:subscribe%3Aprogressive-kenyans%2Bsubscribe@googlegroups.com: mailto:Unsubscribe%3Aprogressive-kenyans%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Progressive Kenyans" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to mailto:progressive-kenyans%2Bunsubscribe@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.  
-- *************************************************************************************************For house maids, gardeners check: www.maidcheck.com. Also article writting paid at 3,000 per published articled email director@trs.co.keCall 0725 232420 for more info*************************************************************************************************TO ADVERTISE HERE: email: amosogal @ gmail.com*************************************************************************************************To subscribe:progressive-kenyans+subscribe@googlegroups.com: Unsubscribe:progressive-kenyans+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Progressive Kenyans" group.To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to progressive-kenyans+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.  

--
Send Emails to wanabidii@googlegroups.com
 
Kujiondoa Tuma Email kwenda
wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com Utapata Email ya kudhibitisha ukishatuma
 
Disclaimer:
Everyone posting to this Forum bears the sole responsibility for any legal consequences of his or her postings, and hence statements and facts must be presented responsibly. Your continued membership signifies that you agree to this disclaimer and pledge to abide by our Rules and Guidelines.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Wanabidii" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to wanabidii+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment