Tuesday 14 May 2013

[wanabidii] Where is my home!

After the Boston Bombings, i heard a reporter describing the conflict of Muslims born in Asia, or Africa, who later got assimilated in mainland USA. Eventually in their young adulthood, they don't fully identify with America and further they become strangers in their native countries.
 
Under  the same scope, it is easy to see my conflict and that of many like me. our parents having migrated to urban/semi urban areas, we were born (I was born and brought up in the village)and brought up as high-breeds. by our 20's we(some) know very little about our/their traditional homes. some of us don't even know our mother tongues. we cannot relate to our ''homes'' i.e. birth place of our grand fathers for we know little or sometimes nothing about those places.
 
at the same time, we feel strangers in our ''new'' homes, where we are born and brought up. compounded with tribalism, it is difficult to claim,my home is in Eldoret ,Nairobi,or ngambo (for the case of diaspora brethren) -  it becomes confusing. 
 
so really, where is my home. Kisii, where my father was born, Nairobi where i have a house that children call their home, where i have soil i call mine and where my wife and kids are? 


Evans MACHERA.

What is the difference between a home and a residence!

0 comments:

Post a Comment